A good snapshot stops a moment from running away. ~Eudora Welty












Thursday, January 27, 2011

Day 187 ~ Goodbye to Maasai land ~


My volunteer experience is now over. I am in Nairobi today spending the night at the hostel before I leave for my safari tomorrow to Masa Mara. There is so much to say and too many unsorted thoughts to put it all together. Overall my experience was beyond my expectations. The family that I lived with in Maasai land were such kind, welcoming people and even though their life is so different from my own we are all so much alike.

The HIV/AIDS Awareness day has come and gone and turned out to be a success. We had hoped for a better turn out but we ended up getting 50 people together to listen to the speakers talk about their experiences living with HIV. Everyone seemed so interested in their stories and the speakers themselves were so amazing and inspiring that I hope that their message got to the people...I think it did. I think it really broke down the barriers for people and hopefully they realized that they should know their status so they can get treated and still live a long healthy life. A lot of people really came through for us on the day and I am so happy that I was able to be a part of such a positive thing. One of the best parts of the day was meeting a man named Charles who has been living with HIV for 20 years now. He is such a beautiful person, so open and willing to share his life experiences. He is the kind of person that can really make a difference in the world. His words will save lives!

The pipe project was completed today and the clinic now has an unlimited supply of water!! It was a bit of a complicated process with communicating with the people involved but in the end it was very much worth it all and they were all very grateful for our contribution to the clinic.

I feel ready to come home but I also don't feel ready to leave Africa yet either. It's been nice to have so many emotions in one day but also very exhausting as well. Kenya has many problems and there are so many people suffering. When I look into the eyes of some of the children I wish their life could be different. When I hear about young girls being married off young to old men and being beaten daily it makes me want to cry. Knowing their are so many children going to bed hungry and their families not having enough money for them to go to school it is heartbreaking.
I would love to have a beautiful ending to this trip but unfortunately not every experience has a perfect ending. I do know that I am very lucky to be born in Canada and to have all of the opportunities that I have. If nothing else I have met some incredible people and I have learned to appreciate my life so much more.

Off to my luxurious hostel room with running water, toilets, electricity, a pillow and a mirror to finally really see what I look like...lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment